Monday, July 6, 2009

The Day After

Today is the day after the big Farewell Open House. The party was held at Dan and Amanda's home. She had it decorated beautifully with stars and stripes.


There were over 80 people that showed up for the party. All of them were there for one reason...to show Dan how much they care about him and to wish him well.


Dan spent time visiting with each person. Poor guy, he loves to eat, and he was so busy talking that he hardly had time to get a bite! The food was fantastic, too!


The ground was still muddy from all the rain the day before. It was the coldest Fourth of July on record! So, all the kids had to stay indoors. But, with all of the young children, the house was relatively quiet. They spent the time downstairs in the basement. They were entertained with all the toys.


Most of the people left by 7:00. But, a few friends of Dan's from high school and college remained to visit longer. They sat around the kitchen table reminiscing and laughing. What a wonderful time for them to be together!

I helped Dan get music loaded to his mp3 player and I gave him another one, too. Time was just going too quickly. He had to leave at 11:00 to report for the Guard and the Regular Army. Shaun drove back from Bloomington to ride with him. This way they would have some time to spend with each other to say "good-bye".


We left about 9:45. It was very difficult. I know that I will be able to see him for a very short time on Wednesday at the departure ceremony. But, this was hard on Mom. Luckily I have a very supportive husband that helped me get through those rough minutes.


Today has been spent going through the photos from yesterday. I tried to get several pictures...without being too annoying. LOL! I have class tomorrow and I'm suppose to have portrait photos for it. I'm going to be scrambling to combine many into one! I have had the luxury of having my house to myself. It isn't often that I get to do that. I'm not complaining, but it is nice occasionally.


One day down and how many more to go? We'll take them one at a time.


















No comments:

Post a Comment